When laparoscopy is used?
Laparoscopy is used mainly in phlebology, gynecology and abdominal surgery. Laparoscopic method is used to perform operations on the genitourinary system, abdominal cavity and retroperitoneal space:
- Fallopian tubes
- Vessels etc.
Laparoscopy is recognized worldwide as the most effective and safest method of surgery. When it is performed, almost no incisions are made, which shortens the recovery period after surgery, reduces postoperative pain and reduces the risk of complications.
Types of laparoscopic operations
Depending on the organ to be operated on, there are:
- Laparoscopy of the uterus (treatment of endometriosis, removal of myoma, fibroids, uterus).
- Laparoscopy of the fallopian tubes (removal of adhesions and restoration of patency, termination of an ectopic pregnancy).
- Ovarian laparoscopy (removal of endometriotic and other cysts, treatment of ovarian torsion).
- Laparoscopy of the testicles (the operation is performed for varicocele and other surgical pathologies).
- Laparoscopy of the kidneys (removal of cysts, stones from the kidneys, surgery to remove an organ).
- Laparoscopy of the liver (removal of cysts and other neoplasms).
- Laparoscopy of the gallbladder (laparoscopic cholecystectomy, removal of stones from the gallbladder and ducts, removal of an organ).
- Laparoscopy for appendicitis (removal of the appendix).
- Laparoscopy for inguinal hernia (laparoscopic reduction of the hernia).
- Laparoscopy for umbilical hernia (laparoscopic IPOM plastic).
- Laparoscopy for diaphragmatic hernia (laparoscopic plastics).
- Laparoscopy for peritoneal commissures (removal of adhesions in the abdominal cavity).
How laparoscopic surgery is performed?
Laparoscopic surgeries are usually performed under general anesthesia. A small puncture (3-10 mm) is made in the abdominal cavity, through which carbon dioxide is injected into it, which lifts the abdominal wall and creates an operating space. The next step is the introduction of a laparoscope and laparoscopic instruments into the abdominal cavity. The laparoscope is equipped with a miniature video camera, the image from which is transmitted to the screen. Guided by it, the surgeon performs the necessary manipulations using only laparoscopic instruments. After that, he removes all instruments, applies sutures and bandages in the area of puncture of the abdominal wall. Next, the patient is transferred to the ward.
How long does the operation last?
Laparoscopy can last from 15-30 minutes to several hours, depending on the purpose of the operation. Diagnostic laparoscopy is usually performed quickly – within 15-30 minutes. Laparoscopy for therapeutic purposes lasts longer. For mild pathologies, the operation takes about an hour, and for more complex pathologies, it can take several hours.
The main advantages of laparoscopic surgery
- Low trauma (only a few incisions are made on the skin with a length of 3 to 10 mm), which allows to reduce significantly the dose of drugs used during anesthesia, and to stop using painkillers practically from the first day.
- Short-term hospital stay (for chronic pathology – 1 day, and for acute – 2-3 days).
- Cosmetic effect (scars are practically absent).
- Maximum physiological nature of the intervention (for example, the hernial sac is excreted from the abdominal cavity without damaging the adjacent anatomical structures; endoprosthetic meshes used in the transabdominal or total preperitoneal laparoscopic technique have a lighter weave, and their fixation is carried out with an absorbable material, which implies a decrease in volume of foreign body remaining after plastic surgery).
- Minimum time of postoperative rehabilitation (the patient returns to usual life 2-3 days after the operation).
- Minimum percentage of complications and relapses.
Laparoscopy at the ADONIS group of hospitals
At the ADONIS group of hospitals, laparoscopic surgeries are performed by doctors of the highest qualification category with more than 10 years of experience. They have the skills to perform the most complex surgical operations using endoscopic equipment. Operating rooms in ADONIS MC are equipped with the latest premium class surgical equipment for laparoscopic operations of any complexity, produced in the USA and Germany.